Thursday, November 28, 2013

Volume 2: "Christmases Past"

In Volume 1, of this spontaneous series: "What I Miss Most About Christmases Past", I talked about how I miss cutting down a live Christmas tree each year at the mountainside Evergreen Tree Farm with our little children. While that was a while back, I continue Volume 2 with a much older memory.

I really miss the "holy days" at my Granny and Grandaddy's house on the west end of the little East Coast island I was raised on. 

I especially miss my Granny and Granddaddy and my Granny's kitchen.

While Granny's major expertise was cooking seafood, she was also quite the holiday cake baker, too. And her specialty cake was called a jelly cake. It was a yellow layer cake with a secret-recipe frosting made of a glistening red jelly plentifully applied between each layer and totally adorning the outside. I have never ever seen a more beautiful dessert and I have never ever tasted a more delicious sweet holiday treat.

In fact, when I was a young boy, my Granny's sister, my Aunt Dicie, taught me the word "delicious" in Granny's kitchen as I was eye-balling one of Granny's impossible-to-ignore-shiny-red, jelly cakes.

I think my Aunt Edith, Granny's only daughter, might still probably have the secret jelly cake recipe? I must find out! My memory demands to know!

Who knows, maybe my wife will even be able to make these irresistibly beautiful and delicious cakes in our Christmases future?

I know I don't need the calories, but honestly I'd just love to sit and stare once again at one of my Granny's red jelly cakes. The inspiring images from Christmases past are forever saved in my mind's eye.

Yes, I miss so much about Christmases Past, however please know that I am (on this very Thanksgiving Day 2013) totally appreciative that the memories are still being made. Indeed, this present holy day season is most sacredly being embraced within my mind and soul.

Grateful

No comments: