Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Volume 1: "What I Miss Most About Christmases Past"


In no particular chronological order, I spontaneously begin Volume 1 of who-knows-how-many-volumes titled "What I Miss Most About Christmases Past".

So here goes...

I really miss cutting down live Christmas Trees year-after-year at the Evergreen Tree Farm when our son and daughter were little.

Each year we would drive the 20 minute ride towards the mountain, listening to Christmas music all the way there and back. 

We rotated the holy honor amongst the four of us year-after-year, yes the privilege of who would choose each year's special tree. (Okay, with my wife of course having the final approval, as she was and still is the master holiday house decorator.)

Last year, I caved in and I purchased an artificial tree from Hobby Lobby. I personally picked it out and brought it home -- not tied to the top of my Ford -- but in three pieces stuffed into a cardboard box. I must admit, it's a really beautiful fake fir, and once decorated, honest it looks "almost" exactly like a live one. (We even bought a real evergreen wreath last December to hang in our home over the holy days to get that real tree scent.)

With our kids now grown and living in their own homes, I hope and pray their memories of Christmases past are as precious as mine are. They both plan to be home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

More than cherishing Christmases past, I am personally grateful for the promise of Christmas present.

For me, the season between Thanksgiving and Christmas is still the most wonderful time of the year.

Grateful 

No comments: