Thursday, September 6, 2012

Obvious Masks that Scared People Wear

A while back, my wife and I visited New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, for the very first time. One of the shops we browsed in near the riverfront had walls and walls covered with masks for the annual Mardi Gras "celebrations". It got me thinking about the many masks we are tempted to put on in our everyday lives.

Perhaps there are no more obvious masks that scared people wear, yes, no more positive proofs of full-bloom fear than when we are found in these two destructive disguises:
#1: arrogance and #2: isolation.

I am so blessed to be an island boy by birth, but I have no desire to live now and/or die later as an island. No, I am not independent! I pray that I will never again be found posing in arrogance and/or lost in isolation.

We really do need each other.
-- Rueben Welch

Grateful... indeed!

6 comments:

KLW said...


I just want to say that Jesus wants us to "get real" about our lives and our relationship with Him. We need to come to him just as we are and not how we "think" He wants to see us. He sees right through our masks and the masks of those we know and love.

Mark said...

Great insight. Thanks.

Unknown said...

I am so thankful for my relationship with my savior! All to me he gave, all to him I owe!

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Blessings brothers.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks.

What kind of mask(s) do I wear?

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Good personal question for us all, Martin.