Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pray to God for Me (A Pastor's Request)

Brothers and sisters, I encourage you through our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love that the Spirit creates, to join me in my struggle. Pray to God for me...
-- Romans 15:30 (GWT)

These words recorded in Romans 15:30 by Pastor Paul (a.k.a. The Apostle Paul) are positive proof that pastors need others to pray with them, and especially to pray for them. Each Tuesday morning, men from our local church gather with me as part of "The Pastor's Prayer Patrol". It's humbly named The "Pastor's" Prayer Patrol, because as a pastor, I realize how very much I need other people interceding with me, and especially interceding for me, in fervent prayer.

Recently, a dear brother-in-the-Lord e-mailed me a very touching prayer. It was a prayer he was praying for me as a pastor. Amazingly, this dear brother does not even attend the local fellowship that I pastor. In fact, he lives many miles away from me. However, the distance surely doesn't stop him from realizing that pastors desperately need prayer. Hear and join in on the prayer he prayed for this pastor, yes for me:

"Heavenly Father, we thank you for the gift of leadership you have given to Pastor Kerry. It is a holy calling. It's a calling to watch over himself and the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made him overseer. The church has been bought with the blood of your Son, on the cross. The responsibility you have given to Pastor Kerry is awesome. He too is tempted and tried by the enemy. He has many responsibilities be it in his family or in the community and so it is our prayer that he would be kept from the evil one and that you would empower him to live a godly life, so that out of his fullness he would share the message of the gospel boldly. Help Pastor Kerry this week as he searches the Word and Your will for the congregation. Will you grant him the
health and strength he needs to share Your message in humility and with clarity. In Jesus name I pray, Amen."

I am humbled, grateful, and speechless for this prayer, Brother Keith. I pray it will encourage others to pray for pastors everywhere, beginning with the pastor-author of this blog.

Pray to God for me...
Grateful (a.k.a. Pastor Kerry)

No comments: