Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Live Careful Lives. Prayerful, too.

It was a Tuesday when I visited a hero of the faith in my life. Yes, Brother Charlie is now 74-years-old and lives in an assisted care home. A man of God and a church leader for most of his life, he now spends his days encouraging the residents and the caregivers within his seemingly smaller circle of influence.

I made the trip with Brother Charlie's grandson, who is now a ministry partner alongside me, and my own son also rode along with us for the fellowship. As we shared together, Brother Charlie kept holding his old Bible up and saying to us, This is a wonderful book. I wish everyone would read it. He also said that the one piece of counsel he would give to people today is: Live careful lives because people are looking to us as the Lord's witnesses.

Before leaving, I asked Brother Charlie if he would lead us in prayer. He said, Whenever I hear the word prayer, I come to a halt. Then he prayed the most beautiful prayer I have heard in a long, long time. With pin-point clarity he cried out to Jesus, offering splendid praises and specific petitions. In a way it was a Transfiguration-type moment, in that, his grandson, my son, and I were keenly aware that the moment was exceptionally holy and Jesus was indeed glorifying Himself through Brother Charlie's life.

Lord, help us to live careful and prayerful lives that glorify You. In the name of Jesus. Amen.

IF MY PEOPLE... WILL? I WILL! God's Promise in 2 Chron. 7:14.
Grateful

2 comments:

Unknown said...

May future generations experience and treasure such moments in increasing measure. Amen!

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

AMEN & AMEN.