Saturday, November 30, 2013

Volume 3: "Christmases Past"

In Volume 2, of this "Holy Days" series: "What I Miss Most About Christmases Past", I was "writing" down memory lane wanting one of my Granny's beautiful and delicious, holiday, jelly cakes to reappear in my life. And guess what? After writing about the childhood remembrance, I talked on the phone with my Mom and she revealed that My Aunt Edith does still have the recipe and she actually baked a jelly cake for their Thanksgiving in North Carolina. A few slices have been placed in the freezer until I revisit my homeplace in a week or so. How unbelievable is that! And, yes, the recipe will indeed be coming home to my wife's kitchen so she can prepare jelly cakes for our Christmases future, Lord willing.

Now for Volume 3. Something else I really miss about Christmases Past is getting new pedal cars and bicycles.

I remember my first pedal car. It was a red fire truck, complete with a bell and a mesmerizing battery operated, red-flashing light on the hood. It was one of the most wonderful and fun forms of transportation a boy could ever hope for. 

And when it comes to bicycles, I only remember owning two -- a green Schwinn cruiser and a gold English Racer with ten gears.

There's nothing quite like getting a new bike for Christmas. A bike was a thing of freedom especially when I was young. Riding the roads of the island I called home was in itself pure joy. In many ways my journey around the world started with pedals and spokes.

Yes, funny how my "writing" down memory lane, reminded me of riding down memory lane. The fire truck pedal car helped me go from walking to riding around the home place. The bicycle got me off the Willis property and onto the roads that would lead to the rest of my life.

As much as I love riding down memory lane, I am so glad that because of The Christ Child born in Bethlehem, today I am promised that the rest of my journey will be the best of my journey. 

Grateful
    

No comments: