Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Heart Purity

"Blessed are the pure in heart..." Words of Jesus recorded in Matthew 5:8a

I have learned that heart purity causes me to have heightened expectations of God and lower expectations of people. 

What I mean is this: sanctification, purity of heart, enables me to focus on how pleased I am with God over how disappointed I could be with people. 

Here's the point: people are not God. So, we should not expect them to never let us down. Too often, because I am not God, I can disappoint myself. So, why would I expect unrealistic performance from other people like me when I know perfect performance is only a God-Himself-quality? 

Recently, I heard Ravi Zacharias make a powerful three-word statement: "Don't Play God!" It impacted me very undeniably. It reminded me of Brother Earl Clarke's prayer: "God, You be God all by Yourself!"

So I pray: Lord please continue to purify my heart. Help me to heighten my expectations of You, as I extend more and more mercy to the people in my life. If and when people let me down, I still want to lift them up. And when I let others down, may it only serve to prove to them that they need to look beyond my weakness and see You in Your perfect power. Teach me that the pure in heart prove their authenticity by believing in You and by blessing others. Yes, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they/we will see God," and as a result others will see God in them/us! In Jesus' Name. Amen.

"Worship Only God!" Rev. 22:9 NLT

Grateful     


No comments: