Thursday, October 9, 2014

Update Capt. Billy -- The Journey Onward or The Welcome Upward

Thursday, October 9, 2014, 9:05 a.m.

I know some of you are wondering how my Dad is getting along after he found out the first week of October that he is not a candidate for a bone marrow transplant and a possible cure.

Well, on Monday, my two brothers and I accompanied Dad and Mom to the office of his personal cancer doctor, a true believer and now a dear friend of Dad's for sure. In tears, the doctor said that he would surely visit Dad in his home if coming to the office becomes too much. Our hearts are wonderfully warmed by His kindnesses.

The good doctor went on to give Dad three options for future treatment, neither of which will deliver a cure:

(1) Take another more powerful round of chemo to possibly lengthen his days, side effects minimal.
(2) Take a less potent pill regiment of chemo with minimal side effects.
(3) Just quit the chemo and let the days go as they will.

Though we were there to help Dad make a decision, we told him earlier the decision was his and we would support whatever he desired. Without any hesitation Dad and his doctor made the decision together as we listened in. Dad is going with Option #1. His resolve was refreshing. He and the doctor cried and talked about how our good Lord can still intervene. Dad said through tender tears, "I will furnish the man. God will be God."

On Tuesday morning, before my two brothers left for their homes, we all gathered around Mom and Dad and prayed as always. There was peace in the circle. Then after my brothers left, I sensed I should get my anointing oil and as Mom and I laid hands on Dad, I prayed again with a deep sense of belief that God can still get glory out of healing my father. However, as Jesus and my parents have taught me to pray, I cried out finally, "Nevertheless, not our will but Yours be done, my God." 

So there you have it. We have wholeheartedly thrown ourselves yet again fully upon the Great Physician. As Dad says: "We are having good days." (Not easy days, but good days.)

Yesterday, Dad's pain seemed greater for most of the day. Today, he goes to the hospital to get a new port in his chest so the chemo can begin next week, Lord willing. 

He didn't sleep much last night and isn't feeling the best this morning. Surely, he is weak in body, yet the joy of the Lord is his strength. The Holy Word reminds us that "The just walk by faith not by sight."

Is Dad weary of cancer? Yes. We all are. However, we fully trust in the Lord's mysterious and marvelous ways -- whether we experience a Miracle of His Divine Healing so Dad's witnessing-for-Christ-journey-onward can continue or The Door of Heaven opens wide and Dad is welcomed upward into His Heavenly Home by Jesus Himself. Surely, "to live is Christ and to die is gain." Dad and his family are fully surrendered.

Dad and Mom are so appreciative for your interests and intercessions and bless you in the Name of Jesus.

Grateful      

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I am praying.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Prayer is the fuel of our faith. Thanks.