Saturday, July 7, 2012

"GREAT DAY!" My Personal Journal

Today's blog post is in part from an edited excerpt from my personal journal, that I sent last evening to a dear friend of mine via e-mail:

Friday was a great day...

Kim and I came down to Bristol, Virginia, with the church bus, seven volunteers in all from our local church and 2,000 pounds of food from our Hope Distributed Food Bank for the soup-kitchen, store-front church here. We helped to feed probably 60-plus at their weekly Friday night meal and was able to fill their empty freezers, as well as joyously stack boxes of food, crates of fresh produce and all kinds of fresh bread really high in their storage room.

So humbling.

We are spending the night. Painting their nursery in the morning, cleaning some, and hope to be back home by 6 p.m.

The local pastor here, David, prays with me every Sunday morning via "texting one another" before we preach in our respective pulpits. When I told him we were bringing 2,000 pounds of food, he replied "GREAT DAY!"

Before becoming pastor here, David was homeless for several months and once went 50-plus days without solid food. Now he ministers to the spiritual needs and feeds the down and out. Many homeless and seemingly hopeless people are recipients of Christ's compassion through this humble pastor.

The Lord has really been big in my concentration over the past 36 hours or so. The older I get the more desperate I become for Him and His favor.

Before I left the little store-front, soup-kitchen church last evening, I picked these words up on a table being prepared for Sunday's worship:

"We've been through fire, we've been through rain
We've been refined by the power of Your name
We've fallen deeper in love with You
You've burned the truth on our lips."

"GREAT DAY!" Good night!
Grateful

Click here: Shout to the North - Delirious - YouTube

No comments: