Monday, December 26, 2011

The Saddest Day Of The Year? December 26.

In C.S Lewis' Land of Narnia language, one line is so very sad:
It was always winter, but Christmas never came.

If you know me, you know that I really love Christmas. In many ways, as I look ahead, Christmas is that most wonderful time of the year that helps get me through each winter, and even through each day on the calendar for that matter. Yes, day-after-day and year-after-year, I personally look forward to the whole Christmas Advent season. In fact, from Thanksgiving Day to Christmas at midnight, I feel most alive as a human being. And, so, it's obvious, I'm sure, that Christmas Day is my most favorite day on the calendar.

In this same way, my daughter is surely her daddy's child. Last night, Christmas Night, I sent my daughter a message after she had arrived back at her home having spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with us. I said, "Merry Christmas. Only 55 minutes of Christmas 2011 left." Her message back to me was, "The day after Christmas is the saddest day of the year." I agree. I know you can get-all-spiritual on me and tell me "why the day after Christmas should not be the saddest day of the year". Still, I agree with my daughter, in that, emotionally speaking, because after awaking on the day after Christmas we are the very farthest we can be from the next Christmas Day, December 26 has to be, hands down, the saddest day of the year. So, for my daughter and her daddy, the case is closed. We just accept the fact and begin focusing forward to, you got it, December 25 again.

Still, on this morning after Christmas Day, I have been thanking God that, for us, "it is not always winter" and especially I am most grateful that "Christmas always comes where we live". So, my emotions are encouraged because in *364 more days, Lord willing, that most wonderful day of the year will come again. (* Actually 365 more days since 2012 is a leap year and has 366 days. Oh, well.)

Some say, "Christmas? It's just another day". To which I totally disagree, because Christmas Day is not just another day. Christmas is "The Day" that we celebrate The Birth of Hope. Yes, on Christmas Day, Hope was born in Bethlehem so we could get through all of the other days on planet earth, until someday we see the face of our King Jesus. Then He will take us to His Heavenly Home, where I have absolutely no doubt that it will be like CHRISTMAS ALL-THE-TIME, YES CHRISTMAS DAY EVERYDAY!

As Christmas 2011 is becoming an evaporating memory in our rear view mirrors, I think it would be good to share together in one more upbeat Christmas Carol. Click below and give thanks for Christmas Day and especially for The Christ Child.

Click here: Mary's Boy Child / Oh My Lord - Boney M - YouTube

ALL JOY TO YOUR WORLD!
Grateful

4 comments:

sheila said...

Dear Pastor Kerry, I so agree. It's also the day my earthly daddy was taken to heaven. But, I enjoy such a wonderful spirit of Christmas, I try to play Christmas music all throughout the year just to keep alittle glow in my heart.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Your words inspire my heart, Sheila. Thank God for Christmas and for The Holy Spirit of Christ in us, the Hope of glory!

Martin LaBar said...

In the UK, they celebrate boxing day on the 26th, don't ask me how.

Then there are the 12 days of Christmas . . .

It will come around again, and Christ's birth, whatever day it was, will always be impacting us.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Good words.