Monday, November 21, 2011

In The Bleak Midwinter (Warmth For The Soul)

On a late night ride home from the airport, I replayed this song on my car stereo at least a dozen times. Though winter is approaching, it was a tender season of warmth for my soul, yes a real joy ride for sure. I pray the lyrics will also now warm your heart:


"In the Bleak MidWinter"
(Original words written as a poem: Christina Rosetti)

In the bleak midwinter,
frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow,
snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Our God, heaven cannot hold Him,
nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away
when He comes to reign.
In the bleak midwinter
a stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

Angels and archangels
may have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim
thronged the air;
But His mother only,
in her maiden bliss,
Worshiped the beloved with a kiss.

What can I give Him,
poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd,
I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man,
I would do my part;
Yet what I can give Him: give my heart.


ALL JOY TO YOUR WORLD!
Grateful

1 comment:

Martin LaBar said...

That's a great poem.