Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Forgiveness Beautifully Defined

Years ago a friend of mine who was seeking mercy for a wrong that he undeniably wanted to make right (with the one he had offended) gave me this unforgettable definition for forgiveness when he softly and sincerely said, Here's what I am asking from the one I offended:

In asking for forgiveness, I am asking you to give up your right to hurt me for hurting you.

It was such a vulnerable and beautiful expression of humility that it left me totally speechless. Still does. And, oh yeah... forgiveness was extended to my vulnerable friend (by the one he had offended) in exactly the way he had hoped.


Amazing, indeed! Christ-like forgiveness. In fact, as Jesus was nailed on the Cross, a paraphrase of His prayer for us might be: Father forgive them... I give up my right to hurt them for hurting Me.

Forgive, and you will be forgiven. -- Words of Jesus in Luke 6:37.

ALL JOY!
Grateful

3 comments:

Martin LaBar said...

That was well put.

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

I've had to ask a few poeple for that kind of forgiveness myself. Sometimes I start backing up without the beeper sounding and back over people. ALL JOY to you Martin.

Bethany said...

It's amazing how easy it is to feel as if I deserve to hold on to that right. Somehow my hurt needs to be vindicated, right?

Nope.

And amazingly, there's a sort of freedom in that. I think He may have planned it that way!

Thanks for the reminder!

Miss you, PK!