Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Blessed to Bless Others

Today, as I read in Genesis 12, about Abram who would be renamed Abraham, my heart was touched deeply. Not that it was a new truth for my mind, but the verses just came at me more beautifully than I have remembered them before.

So, here's what I read in Genesis 12:2b and 3b NLT: The Lord was speaking to Abram. These words were given:

"I will bless you and make you famous and you will be a blessing to others. All the families on earth will be blessed through you."

Too often, as God-worshipers, we forget that God wants to bless us, however, He doesn't want the blessing to begin and end with just us. No, He wants to bless us and then He wants to bless others through the blessing He has extended to us.

Recently, I wrote these words: "Self-centeredness is the deepest depth of poverty." It's so true. If we seek blessings from Holy God and only intend to keep those blessings for ourselves, we are surely not grateful for the goodness God has given to us. We have sadly misunderstood the heart of God, as expressed to Abram. If we truly love God, we will prove our love with a gratitude that blesses others.

Yes, we should realize that being recipients of God's blessing comes with tremendous responsibility. When He sends blessings to us, He is entrusting us to allow those blessings to flow through us... to others.

No wonder Abraham was called "a friend of God." Are we?

"Worship Only God!" Revelation 22:9 NLT

Grateful

"Unless you become as a child..." -- Jesus

No comments: