Friday, December 31, 2010

Exit History! Enter Mystery!

Last evening was our night to undecorate our 2010 Christmas tree. The 8-foot Fraser Fir with its twinkling lights and colorful ornaments brought a glorious glow to our home and to our hearts during the sacred month of December.

Each morning during the Advent Season when I arose from a night's sleep for my morning quiet time, the first thing I would do was switch on the tree lights so I could sit in its light as I communed with my Lord. (My daily quiet time prayer chair sits in the same room that we set up our Christmas tree year after year.)

Anyway, last night the tree came down. Our son helped his mom carefully remove the ornaments and I took the lights off one strand at a time. Once the tree was bare, I loosened the bolts in the tree stand, firmly grabbed it out of its' anchored position and through the back French doors the tree and I wildly went. Mission accomplished. Out with the old (once wonderful, but now withering) Fraser Fir. It's leaning against the back of the house now awaiting it's final resting place at the county dump. I'm a tad sad.

This morning as I arose from a night's sleep and walked into our living room, I must confess, I really missed the sacred December ritual of switching on the lighted Christmas tree. The room seems somehow less inspiring and light deprived. I'm still sitting in my prayer chair, looking out those French doors and realizing that like 2010, this year's 8-foot Fraser Fir is all but history. Yes, it's about to be 2011, and in my mind I hear this invitation:

Out with the old -- it's now history, and in with the new -- it's all mystery!

Friends, let's pray together that we can somehow begin to place yesterday where it belongs -- in the backyard, yes, in the rear view mirror. It's now time to focus forward. Surely, we can take comfort in knowing that our God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. In other words, He is more than capable of handling what is now our history and He knows how to move us onward toward the future. What we see as mystery is not mystery at all to Him.

Yes, our God is an out with the old and in with the new kind of God. His name is I Am, meaning He's our ever-present Peace in whatever time or place we find ourselves in. He's been Faithful. He is Faithful. He will Be Faithful.... forever and forever and forever! How long is that?

This link to a Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir song inspires:
Click > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdO2cRXVHII

Here are three soul-glowing passages to closely consider as December 31 races for the finish line and January 1 is rising on the horizon before us:

(25) Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. (26) Mark out a straight path for your feet; then stick to the path and stay safe. (27) Don’t get sidetracked; keep your feet from following evil.
-- Proverbs 4:25-27 (NLT)

(1) Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us. (2) We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on Whom our faith depends from start to finish. He was willing to die a shameful death on the cross because of the joy He knew would be his afterward. Now He is seated in the place of highest honor beside God’s throne in heaven.
-- Hebrews 12:1-2 (NLT)

(6) And I am sure that God, who began the good work within you, will continue His work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again.
-- Philippians 1:6 (NLT)

Time to exit our history and enter His mystery! So help us, God!
Grateful

No comments: