Sunday, June 10, 2018

Tender Sunday, June 10, 2018

Sunday, June 10, 2018, has been a very tender day for my heart. 24 years ago I came with my wife and our young children, to be the local pastor at Harrisonburg, Virginia, First Church of the Nazarene. Today, I led my final three worship services as local pastor here. It was a sacred day with God’s favor all over it. An estimated 40 people were even spontaneously baptized. So my emotions are something other than sad. Just tender, I’d say. 

I am humbled to go into the future God has chosen for me — to be District Superintendent of the Philadelphia District Church of the Nazarene. I look so forward to being a sanctuary of the Holy Presence of my Savior to many new, precious people there. To be an encourager of pastors and local churches in Eastern Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey will be a holy opportunity indeed. Still, today has been tender. 

I have given my very best to this local community that was not my home, but became my home. I leave the daily encounters with dear partners I have shared ministry with. Even our son, who worked alongside me for seven years, will now have to find his way forward without my daily influence in his life and I will now have to find my way forward without his. Yet, I rejoice because he remains in a local church family that he loves dearly and that dearly loves him. Tender, indeed. 

Years ago I adopted a vision statement of sorts for myself. I did not know how true it would become: “My dream holds to sail beyond the sunset.” Well, my friends, it’s happening. One friend who’s been with me for the whole 24 years said: “The mission was to save the church, and it has been saved but not for me/Kerry.” 

So, now I set sail with the north star before me. The mission, “to strengthen the churches in the region of Philadelphia, and to refresh the hearts of God’s people there so souls might be saved.” Pray Godspeed ahead of Kim, Lucy Pup, and me.

Photos from my final day of leading as Pastor:


Pastor Joe welcomes the people...


Angela Sipe served alongside me 22 years especially in prayer but many others ways. She was given The Beacon Award.


Gethsemane Gathering Worship and Prayer


Encouraging the people with Good News 


The final blessing from Numbers 6


Final winding up of mic cord atop final order of service 

Praying with Mr. Fulk, Angela Sipe’s Dad, Pastor Adrian approaching in the background 
 

God is good. My “Timothy” taking the helm. The future is preferred for Jesus-believers! 

Maranatha — “Come, Lord Jesus!” Rev. 22:20

Grateful 

2 comments:

Lea Valentine said...

Beautiful time, PK. Thank you for obeying the Lord! Many of us are "tender" today, whether here a long time or not. I know I am. You are part of us still, and the prayer lab continues for beautiful times ahead!

i am Grateful... Kerry i am. said...

Your kindness matters! Grateful.