Tuesday, August 30, 2016

"How Precious Was That!" / Presence is Everything!

Yesterday, while visiting my Mom for a couple days on my native island, I was blessed to be a carrier of the presence of God is two specific and undeniable ways.

First, while visiting our local waterfowl and heritage museum, as I sat alone in an old, wooden, rocking chair reflecting on the oh so precious but passed away life of my dear friend, David, while I was looking at his coastal paintings and waterfowl decoy carvings, a gentleman from out West came up and without doubt it was a providential meeting. He was born on the East Coast. I won't take time to explain it all, but as we parted about half-hour after meeting, we shared personal contact info and I said, "I believe you are the reason I came here today." 

Second, as I was returning from the east end of the island to our old homeplace at Red Hill on the west end, I passed the barbershop of my childhood. Mr. Paul Wade, the barber, now age 75, was sitting in the barber's chair with no customers. I needed a haircut so I made a u-turn and went back to give him some business. It was such a sacred time of sharing. 

Mr. Paul found out on November 19, 2014, the same day of my Dad's funeral, that he had stage 4 cancer. His cancer has responded better to treatment than my Dad's did, and now he revisits his doctor every 6 months. So, he's still here, on his feet, and still filling his role as the island barber. 

During and after my haircut, we reminisced about my Dad and Grandaddy Gray, and we cried together. I hugged him, paid him real good, and thanked him saying: "I can't hug my dad, but you had a part in raising me, too, so I am glad I can hug you."

As I headed back to leave in Mom's Buick, I said in a loud whisper, "Thank you, Lord. How precious was that!" 

Presence is Everything!

(Click below for full-view image of me and my childhood barber.) 


"...and i wait." Psalm 5:3 GW

Grateful 

No comments: