Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Pray Now. Understand Later.

Praying is a very peculiar thing. While I would never deny prayer works -- it surely does -- I am still at a complete loss to understand how prayer works. 

Prayer is a real mystery. Yes, though I am indeed drawn to pray non-stop, yet grasping words to explain what prayer really means to me all fall short and are do not even close to rendering a true expression.

Prayer was even an overwhelming idea to the original disciples of Jesus. Once they said to Him: "Lord, Teach Us to Pray." Though they saw and heard Jesus pray many times, they still could not get their human minds around this holy phenomenon. 

When it comes to learning about prayer and knowing how to pray, I can only quote an old Englishman, Samuel Chadwick, who said: "We only learn to pray by praying."

Finally, as Vance Havner said: "I cannot comprehend prayer yet I must pray anyway. I don't understand electricity but I refuse to sit in the dark until I do. I just turn on the switch and bask in the light."

Let us pray now. Understanding will come later.

"... and i wait." Psalm 5:3 (GWT)

Grateful 

No comments: