Saturday, March 7, 2015

My First Doctor's Visit Since My Dad's Death

Yesterday, I had my first annual physical at my doctor's office since my Dad went to be with Jesus on November 17, 2014.

It was a sobering event. I reflected all day until I walked in for the appointment scheduled for 3 p.m. I spent much time in 2014 accompanying my Dad to see his doctors. So, yesterday was the first doctor's office I had visited in a while without Dad. Did I say it was a sobering event? Indeed, it was.

The nurse weighed me, checked my height, took my blood pressure and told me the doctor was a little behind in his schedule but would be in soon. More time to reflect. Having a yearly physical must feel something like that final Judgment Day will feel? 

The doctor arrived shortly. He is a kind and caring man. He is wise and mild-mannered. He is very inquisitive and that makes for a good physician in my estimation. 

After asking many questions about my own health and because I had told him about my year, especially about my Dad's death, he then continued asking questions about my Dad's health issues. Obviously, he wants to be able to better help me moving forward. 

As a result of these health questions about my Dad's issues, I now have a lot of new notes in my own medical folder and a bottle of iron supplement tablets to add to my daily regiment of health-related meds. I am glad to comply to my good doctor's desires because I know he always has my best interest in mind. 

With the question-and-answer session over, it was finally time for the actual exam. It was over quick enough and then the doctor shared good news: "You look good. Whatever you're doing, keep doing it. Come back in a few months for your regular blood work again."

I exhaled. I thanked the good doctor telling him he was a gift to our family and how much we truly appreciated his investment in our lives over these past 20 years. With humility, he received my gratitude and went on to the next patient.

As I was getting dressed to leave, I thought how much courage my Dad had placed in me during all the doctor office visits that I had accompanied him in over the 11 months of his cancer battle. I even whispered in the exam room just before exiting: "Dad, thanks for teaching me how to respond in a doctor's office when my own health is the reason for the visit." I was sort of like my Dad during my own exam, in that, I had no fear and I encouraged my own doctor. (My Dad had courage during all of his health challenges that served to encourage the health providers and everyone else.) 

Finally, I am ever so grateful for my Creator God, Who is also my Ultimate Great Physician. While Dad wasn't here to go with me for my doctor's visit, I was surely not alone. The One Who promised, "I will not leave you as orphaned" was very present. Jesus is His Name. (Yeah, Dad taught me that, too.) 

Give away your life... To the Life-Giver!

Grateful 


No comments: