Thursday, June 12, 2014

1 Kings 13 on June 12, 2014

Today, is an essential day in my life. Yes, 50-plus years ago :-) I was born in North Carolina (in a hospital about 200 yards from sea level.) I decided to take a vacation day today. Taking a vacation day as a pastor is a funny idea. But anyway, it's been sweet so far. Many greetings from all kinds of different devices have come my way. I even got a few old-fashioned cards in the mail this week. And to those who sing to me year-after-year on my voice mail, I am forever indebted to. 

A beautiful gift was a phone call that I was on for 50 minutes this morning. A precious 23-year-old that was recently part of our church family as a university student and who during those years became very dear to my wife and me, called from Texas. Her name is Jillian. She had some questions during her personal Bible study time. I told her, "I know 'some' answers."

So, together on the phone, we studied deeply a passage and sought the Lord to make clear to us the meaning of 1 Kings, chapter 13. The Lord really helped us. I have never fully studied this passage, so I was only familiar with the story. But now after engaging in the Holy Word of God, I feel as if her call was a surprise birthday gift from God. He had someone hungry for His counsel to call me on my birthday. We concluded after 50 minutes in the Word that to obey God carefully and prayerfully and always fully is of paramount importance in our lives.

I invite you to read and pray over 1 Kings 13. As we say back home, "It's a doozy." May the Lord make known to all of us the marvelous mysteries of His "Love Story" written to us -- "The Holy Bible".  

Grateful (Okay, I'm 53 today. Hard to believe I'm 30 years older than Jillian, but that's my true age.)

No comments: